Inauguration - Centre for Economic Research and Industrial Policy Analysis (CERIPA)
The inaugural meeting of the board of management has been successfully held on 24th February 2012 at the VC Office, University of Colombo.
The primary objective of the Centre is to develop and strengthen the relationship between university-industry and community resulting in mutually beneficial partnership. It aims to establish a crucial link between theory and practice in the field of economics including business and finance with special focus on applied research backed by sound theoretical underpinnings. The activities of the Centre are mainly in the fields of research, training and consultation work.
The Centre is established and located in the Department of Economics of the Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. The Centre is governed by a Board of Management. The Centre accepts donations and grants from organizations and private individuals. It also earns income from business and economic research, consultancy, and training programs.
The Centre shall strive to achieve the following specific objectives:
- To establish and maintain university-industry-community interaction links.
- To undertake research studies and training on innovation, economic and social issues.
- To encourage and promote undergraduate-students to conduct research and case studies in the wider areas of economics and business.
- To generate resources in the forms of industry supported projects and consultancy programs.
- To provide management consultancy and advisory services to entrepreneurs, government and community.
- To initiate forums which facilitate networking and linkages among business companies, government and non-government institutions.
- To facilitate and promote dialogue between Sri Lanka, nations of South Asia and the rest of the world.
- To promote entrepreneurial studies and entrepreneurial culture in the university.
FUNCTIONS AND SERVICES
- The Center intends to offer the following services:
- Form and maintain university-industry-community interaction links.
- Organize conferences and seminars of relevance to economics and business.
- Conduct a series of lectures about the related issues.
- Conduct industry oriented specialized skill development programmes in economcis and in any other related fields.
- Publish a standard journal annually and a working paper series.
- Conduct awareness programs on new technology, E-business etc. for companies and community.
- Conduct research and educational activity designed to improved understanding of economic action, processes, relationships and outcomes.
- Prepare feasibility studies and provide consultancy and research services for NGOs and other institutions.
- Play a role of an intermediary to support economic development.
- Provide internship programme offered to undergraduate students by coordinating with partner organizations.
- International exchange programs for researchers, analysts, students, faculty, entrepreneurs and field personnel.
- Information dissemination