Postgraduate Courses in Sociology - 2016 / 2017
Calling for applications for the Postgraduate Programmes in Sociology for 2016/2017 academic year upto 30th June 2016.
Department Seminar Series - 2016
Department of Sociology has re-launched its seminar series for 2016. Eminent scholars from various disciplines will be making presentations throughout the year 2016.
Ceremonial Launch of the Department Journal “Samaja Vigraha”
The first volume of the Department Journal (Refereed Journal -ISSN 2362-0978) “Samaja Vigraha” was launched on Thursday the 18th September 2014 at 3.30pm in the Department of Sociology Auditorium. The Guest Speaker was the Senior Professor Kalinga Tudor Silva.
PANEL DISCUSSION ON 'GENDER BASED VIOLENCE : ISSUES AND CHALLENGES'
Department of Sociology organized a Panel Discussion on 'Gender Based Violence: Issues and Challenges,' in collaboration with Sociology Alumni Association of University of Colombo, on 29th of May, 2014 at 2.30 p.m. - 5.00 p.m. in the Sociology Department Auditorium.
.......... for more information..........
AWARDS TO DEPARTMENT MEMBERS
Congratulations to Prof. S.T. Hettige and Dr. Dilrukshi Abeysinghe from the Department of Sociology who were the only two members of the Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo who won Presidential Awards for Scientific Research in 2014.
The National Research Council is under the patronage of His Excellency the President who has initiated this Presidential Awards Programme to recognize, reward and promote scientific research in the country. Therefore, it is with great pride that we announce these research awards.
RELEASE OF NEW PUBLICATIONS BY DEPARTMENT MEMBERS
• Prof. S.T. Hettige, Youth and Social Transformation Improving Life Chances of Youth in Sri Lanka, co-edited with Elvira Graner, University of Heidelberg, Germany and Harini Amarasuriya, OPU, Sri Lanka 2014.
• Dr. Chandrasiri Niriella, Migration Social Mobility and Class Formation: Impacts of Housing Market in Sri Lanka in Development, Displacement and Marginalisation, 2014.
• Prof. S.T. Hettige and Prof. Angela Little, Globalization, Employment and Education in Sri Lanka: Opportunity and Division, 2013.
• Dr. Chandrasiri Niriella, A guide for Research Proposal Writing: Examples with Urban Topics, 2013.
• Dr. Nishara Fernando, Graduate Research Series Vol. 6: Forced Relocation after the Indian Ocean Tsunami 2004, Graduate Research Series - UNU-EHS
• Dr. Dilrukshi Abeysinghe, PhD in Social Work, University of Ljubljana, (2013).
• Ms. Chamathka Dewasiri, M.A. University of Waterloo, (2013).
• Mr. Kasthuri Nawaratne, M.A. University of Colombo, (2013).
It is a great pleasure to welcome you to the Department of Sociology website. The Department of Sociology is one of the oldest and largest departments in the University of Colombo. Established in 1969 under the leadership of Prof. Laksiri Jayasuriya and a staff of three lecturers and thirteen students the Department of Sociology is now celebrating its 45th year. Today the Department of Sociology is a strong department reaching out to hundreds of students every year and training many undergraduate and postgraduate students to think critically and constructively about society. The Department of Sociology has students who have benefitted from the Department and gone on to create an impact in many spheres such as governmental, nongovernmental and private organizations.
At present the Department of Sociology has an excellent staff of 17 permanent lecturers, 10 temporary lecturers, 4 administrative and supportive staff. The academic staff members are experts in many diverse fields and have contributed to various fields through their research.
The Department of Sociology is an interdisciplinary one which offers course units in Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology and a study stream in Social Work. This broad knowledge base grooms students to develop holistically and acquire a broader knowledge of the Social Sciences. The strong research orientation in the undergraduate and postgraduate curriculum helps students to identify the dynamics and complexities of society and provide interesting perspectives on society.
The Department of Sociology is instrumental in challenging and inspiring people and we hope that you too would be challenged as you enter this website and find out more about us.
Dr. Chandani Liyanage
Head of Department
19 May 2014