Higher Education for the 21st Century is a World Bank-IDA funded project of the Ministry of Higher Education. This project is aimed primarily at enhancing the quality and relevance of higher education in the Universities of Sri Lanka.
The University of Colombo is a recipient of this grant, and has an Operational Technical Secretariat (OTS) for this project. The OTS office is located in the College House premises.
The project has several components,
- University Development Grant (UDG)
- External Degree Program (EDP)
- Quality and Innovation Grants (QIG)
The QIGs will be made available in 4 separate Windows as follows:
- Window 1: Undergraduate Programs of Faculties of Arts and Management
- Window 2: Undergraduate Programs of all Other Faculties (excluding those in Window 1)
- Window 3: Postgraduate Research Programs
- Window 4: Research Dissemination & Commercialization Projects
- Human Resource Development (HRD): Scholarship program
- Entrepreneurship program
The UDG component is currently underway. The UDG focuses on four key areas: enhancement of IT skills, enhancement of English skills, development of soft skills, and improving ethnic cohesion.
Professor D.T.U. Abeythunga
Deputy Director Finance
Mrs M.A.P.P. Chandradasa
Deputy Director Procurement
Mr. Rahal L. B. Abeyratne,
Mrs. A.G. Tharangani