PUBLICATIONS FROM 2001
Books and Edited Volumes
- Hettige, S.T. 2001.Globalization, Electronic Media and Cultural Change: The Case of Sri Lanka – (eds.) Hettige S.T. et.al., Colombo:German Cultural
- Hettige, S.T. 2002. Sri Lankan Youth; challenges and responses, co-edited with M. Mayer, Colombo, FES.
- Hettige, S.T. 2004. Contemporary Social Crisis in Sri Lanka, Colombo: Godage & Sons (in Sinhala)
- Hettige, S.T. 2004. Improving Livelihoods, co- authored with Fernando, et.al. , Colombo: GTZ/ IMCAP/ CMC
- Hettige, S.T. 2005. School to Work Transition of Youth in Sri Lanka, (with Mayer,M and Salih,M.,Geneva: ILO.
- Hettige, S.T. 2005. Perspectives in Social Development in Sri Lanka, (ed), SPARC: Colombo
- Hettige, S.T. 2007. Tsunami Recovery in Sri Lanka: Retrospect and Prospect , Colombo: SPARC and Action aid International.
- Hettige, S.T. 2008. Youth, Peace and Sustainable Development in South Asia, Colombo. CEPA (edited with an Introduction by the applicant)
- Hettige, S.T. 2001. “Knowledge Economy and Youth Employment in Asia : Myths and Realities” in – Proceedings, Welfare Printing Limited : Macau, 222 –229
Hettige, S.T. 2001.Empowering Local Communities Through Devolution of Power in Sri lanka; the Unfinished Agenda, Governance Journal, Sri Lanka Institute
of Local Governance, 21- 31, Vol. 1 No.01
- Hettige, S.T. 2002 .Globalization and Its Impact on Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka Journal of Social Science 2002- 25
- Hettige, S.T. 2003 .Economic Liberalization, Changing Opportunity Structures and Ethnic Conflict in Sri Lanka, Winslow, D. and Woost, M. (eds.) Economy,
Culture and Civil War in Sri Lanka, Bloomington, Indiana University Press.
- Hettige, S.T. 2004.Economic Growth and Social Polarization under Globalization, in Glatzer, W.(ed.) Rich and Poor: Disparities, Perceptions and Concomitants, Dordrechts: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 203-216
- Hettige, S.T. 2004.Pseudo- Modernization and the Formation of Youth Identities in Sri Lanka, is Mukherji, P. and Sengupta, (eds.) Indigeneity and Universality in Social Science, New Delhi: Sege Publications.
- Hettige, S.T. 2004.Migration of Labour to the Middle East and its Social Policy Implications, paper presented at the Modern South Asian Conference, University of Heidelberg, Germany
- Hettige, S.T. 2004 .Ethnicity vs. Nationalism: The Devolution Discourse in Sri Lanka (Book Review), Sri Lanka Journal of Social Science 2004-27
- Hettige, S.T. 2004.Devolution of Power: Theory and Practice, Sri Lanka Institute of Local Governance, Governance Journal, 1-5, Vol. No. 03
- Hettige, S.T. 2005.“Colombo” in Nas Peter (ed) – Diversities of Urban Change in Asia, London: Routledge
- Hettige, S.T. 2005.Gender and Alcohol in Sri Lanka in Alcohol, Gender and Drinking Problems, Geneva, WHO, (co-authored with D. Paranagama)
- Hettige, S.T. 2005.Peace, Conflict and Development in the context of Sri Lanka, in Sociological Bulletin, vol. 54, No3.
- Hettige, S.T. 2005.Empowering Local Communities for Better Poverty Monitoring and Planning in Sri Lanka, in New Challenges for the CBMS; Seeking Opportunities for a More Responsive Role, CBMS/ IDRC/AKI, Maniles
- Hettige, S.T. 2006 .Conflict and Development in the context of Sri Lanka, in The Journal of the Indian Sociological Society
- Hettige, S.T. 2006.Education and Employment in a liberal Economic Environment, in Abstracts, ISA, 2006 – 107
- Hettige, S.T. 2006 .Report on Participatory Development Planning and Budgeting of Local Authorities in Sri Lanka, 2006
- Hettige, S.T. 2006 .Measuring Vulnerability at Local Level in Birkmann, J. (ed) Measuring Vulnerability to Natural Hazards, Tokyo: United Nations University Press (article co- authored with John Birkmann and Nishara Fernando)
- Hettige, S.T. 2007 .Peace, Conflict and Development: A Macro Sociological Perspective, in Beyond Borders, The SAARC Journal of Literature, Ideas and Arts, New Delhi, vol. 3, No. 1,Spring
- Hettige, S.T. 2007 .Modernization, Education and Social Justice in Sri Lanka in Kumar, K. and Oesterheld, J. (eds.) Education and Social Change in South Asia, New Delhi: Orient Longaman Ltd.
- Hettige, S.T. 2007 .Understanding Pervasive Corruption in Sri Lanka Journal of Development Administration, vol. 3, No 1, 45- 62
- Hettige, S.T. 2008 .Local Democracy: The Sri Lankan Experience in Gellner, D and Hachchetu, K. (eds) Local Government in South Asia: Micro – processes of Democratization in Nepal and its neighbors, Delhi: Sage Publications
- Hettige, S.T. 2008. Youth and Political Engagement in Gellner, D. (ed) Ethnic Activism and Civil Society in south Asia, New Delhi: Sage publications
- Hettige, S.T. 2008 .Policy, State, Nation- state and Ethnicity in Sri Lanka, in Embong, A.R. (ed.) .) Rethinking Ethnicity & Nation – Building, Malaysia, Sri Lanka & Fiji in Comparative Perspective Kuala Lumpur: Persatuan Sains Sosial Malaysia (co-authored with Thangarajah, Yuvi).
- Hettige, S.T. 2008. Public policies and ethnic relations in Sri Lanka, in Tarling, N. Gomez,E.T. (eds.) The State, Development and Identity in Multi- Ethnic Societies- ethnicity, equity and the nation, London & New York: Rutledge
- Hettige, S.T. 2009 .Sociological Enterprise at the Periphery: case of Sri Lanka, in Proceedings of the Regional Conference on Sociology in an Unequal World, held in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Hettige, S.T. 2009.Youth Activism in Sri Lanka: the case of the JVP, in Gellner, D. (ed.) Political Activism in South Asia, Delhi: Sage.
- Hettige, S.T. 2010.Concerns of Youth Affected by Civil Conflict in Sri Lanka in Gunatlilaka, R. et. al. (eds.) The Challenge of Employment in Sri Lanka, Washington, DC, The World Bank
- Hettige, S.T. 2011. Building Citizenship in Sri Lanka: The Dynamics of StateAction and Ethnic Conflicts in Bhattacharya, et. al. (eds.) The Politics of Citizenship, Identity and the State in South Asia, Delhi: Samskriti Publishers (forthcoming)