Professor | Department of Sinhala
Director | Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies (CCIS)
BA (Colombo) MA (Lancaster) MPhil (Peradeniya) PhD (Cambridge)
Modern Sinhala Usage and Grammar, Sociolinguistics, Language and Communication
Telephone: 011-2500431 (office) 0718381142 (mobile)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
Faculty of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, University of Cambridge, UK.
Title of the Dissertation: The Politics of Language in Colonial Sri Lanka, c.1900-1948
Department of Sinhalese, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Title of the Dissertation: විසිවන සියවසේ සිංහල භාෂා ව්යාහාරය – සමාජවාග්විද්යාත්මක අධ්යයනයක්
(Sinhala Usage of the Twentieth Century: A Sociolinguistic Study)
Department of Linguistics, Lancaster University, UK
Title of the dissertation: “Language Policy and Planning in Sri Lanka: The Planning of Sinhala as an Official Language”.
Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
AWARDS, RESEARCH GRANTS AND ACADEMIC DISTINC
- Developing World Education Fund and Smuts Scholarship in Commonwealth Studies: for doctoral studies at the University of Cambridge, UK 2006 – 2009. (CambridgeCommonwealth Trust, University of Cambridge, UK)
- Overseas Research Students Award: for doctoral studies,2006-2009. (Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme, Universities UK)
- Smuts Memorial Fund Award: Research Travel grants, 2007. (Smuts Memorial Fund, University of Cambridge, UK)
- NCAS Grant: Research grant for doctoral studies, 2007 – 2009. (National Centre for Advanced Studies in Humanities & Social Sciences, Sri Lanka)
- Commonwealth Academic Staff Scholarship: Awarded to undertake MA in Language Studies at Lancaster University, UK, 2003-
2004. (Association of Commonwealth Universities, UK)
- India- Sri Lanka Foundation Research Grant to compile an Etymological Dictionary of Dravidian Words in Sinhala (High Commission of India, Colombo) 2011-2013
- University Research Grant: Awarded for the compilation of a Sinhala Thesarus (2015-University of Colombo)
- University Research Grant: Awarded for the compilation of a Biographical Dictionary of Modern Sinhala Writers (2010- University of Colombo)
- University Research Grant: Awarded for the compilation of a book entitled ‘Tamil Words in Sinhala’ (2001-University of Colombo)
- Prof. M.B. Ariyapala Award for Sinhala: Awarded for the best performance in Sinhala Special Degree in 1996 (University of Colombo)
- Neil Bandaranaike Award for the Best Performance at the Final Year Examination in Arts Degree in 1996 (University of Colombo)
- Neil Bandaranaike Award for the Best Performance at the Second Year Examination in Arts 1993 (University of Colombo)
- Mahapola Higher Education (Merit) Scholarship for the Best Performance at the G.C.E. (Advanced Level) Examination -1989: Awarded for undergraduate studies, at the University of Colombo (1992-1996)
- Victoria Gold Medal for the Best All-Round Student of the College – 1990 (S. Thomas’ College, MountLavinia. Annual school prizes for outstanding academic achievement
- Accreditation as a Teacher in Higher Education – Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA) UK (2002)
- Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (CTHE) –Staff Development Centre: University of Colombo (2002).
- Graduate Development Program, University of Cambridge, UK
- How to develop Effective Communication Materials – Staff Development Course, University of Cambridge.
- Writing for a Wider Audience – 25 February 2009, Graduate Development Course, University of Cambridge.
- Writing Skills Summer School – 12- 15 August 2008, University of Cambridge.
TEACHING & PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Professor – Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo ( Nov. 2013 – todate )
- Senior Lecturer in Modern Sinhala and Sociolinguistics Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo (Feb. 2005 – Oct. 2013). Teaching areas & course units:
- SLG 1101 – Introduction to Language
- FND 1212 – Sinhala Literary Tradition and Communication
- SLG 2134 – Introduction to Sociolinguistics
- SLG 2216 – Modern Sinhala Usage
- SLG 3159 – Language & Communication
- SLG 3242 – Language, Society and Power
- SLG 4197 – Principles of Academic Writing
- Study Skills Lecture Series for First Year Arts Undergraduates – Orientation Programme (From 2009 – 2011)
- Lecturer in Sinhala – Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo (From Nov.1999 – Jan. 2005)
- Assistant Lecturer – Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo (1997-1999)
- Assistant Lecturer – Journalism Unit, University of Colombo (1996-1997)
- Visiting Lecturer – (Writership and Communication) Institute of Human Resource Advancement (IHRA) (2009 to present)
- Visiting Lecturer – Institute of Workers’ Education (IWE) University of Colombo (From 1997 to 2005)
- Visiting Lecturer – Sri Palee Campus – Horana, University of Colombo (from 2002 2005)
- Visiting Academic – The Open University of Sri Lanka (From 1997-1999)
- Teaching Sinhala as a Foreign Language
- Undergraduates, Wako University, Japan.
- Two Chinese Visiting Scholars – China Radio International, Beijing
- Visiting Chinese Students – Beijing Foreign Studies University, China
- Visiting Lecturer – MPhil/PhD Programme – Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) , University of Colombo (2009- 2014)
- Visiting Lecturer – MA in Sinhala Programme – Department of Sinhala University of Colombo (2011 – to date)
- Visiting Lecturer – Academic Writing Skills / MA in International Relations Program, University of Colombo (2009- 2013)
- Visiting Lecturer – MA in Mass Media Program, Sri Palee Campus, University of Colombo
MA/MPhil/ PhD SUPERVISION/ EVALUATION
- Supervisor for Ms. I.J Mawella – MPhil/PhD Topic: ‘A Sociolinguistic & Social Psychological Study of Language Crossing between
Sinhala and English in the Urban population in Sri Lanka’ (2011-)
- Supervisor for Ms. S. D.A. I Diwakara – PhD topic: සිදත් සඟරා කර්තෘගේ භාෂා සැලසුම්කරණය පිළිබඳ අධ්යයනයක් (2011-2015)
- Co-supervisor for Mr. R.M.C. Ranasinghe – MPhil topic: ‘A study of ideological Identities on Movements in the Linguistic Debates in Sri Lanka after 1956 (2011 -)
- Examiner – MPhil/PhD Proposal Evaluation and Presentation, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo (2009 -)
- Supervisor for MA in Sinhala (Taught) Dissertations – University of Colombo (2012 -2014)
DIPLOMA – LEVEL TEACHING
- Visiting Lecturer – Diploma in Sinhala Program, University of Colombo (2012 – to present )
- Visiting Lecturer – Diploma in Translation Program, Official Languages Department, Sri Lanka (From 2002 –2003)
- Visiting Lecturer – Diploma in Journalism Program, University of Colombo (from 1998 to 2002)
- Visiting Lecturer – Sri Lanka Press Council (2010-2013)
- Visiting Lecturer –Higher National Diploma in Journalism, Sri Lanka Foundation (SLFI)
- Visiting Lecturer – Sinhala for Foreigners’ Course, Bandaranaike Centre for International Studies (BCIS) (2011)
ORGANISATIONAL/ ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE & OTHER DUTIES AS AN ACADEMIC
- Director – Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies (CCIS) University of Colombo (Nov. 2011- Oct. 2013 & Jan. 2015 – )
- Actg. Director – Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies ( Nov. 2013 – Dec. 2014)
- Founder Co-ordinator – MA in Sinhala Program, University of Colombo (2011-todate)
- Co-ordinator – Programme on Sinhala language and Culture for Two Chinese Scholars – conducted by the Department of Sinhala (November 2009 – 2010)
- Academic Warden – Kithyakara Men’s Hostel, University of Colombo (2011)
- Student Counsellor (Permanent) – Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo (2010-2011).
- Activity Co-ordinator – Social and Intercultural Harmony Program, IRQUE Project University of Colombo (2005 -2006)
- Associate Course Coordinator – Diploma in Journalism Program (English Medium) University of Colombo (From 1999- 2004)
- Member – Abstract Review Committee of Faculty of Arts International Conference 2014, Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo.
- Member – Organizing Committee ‘The Commonwealth of the Future: A Visionary and Bold Leadership from Sri Lanka’ organized by the UGC, 26 Nov. 2013
- Member – Academic Committee, Staff Development Centre, University of Colombo (2011-)
- Member – Board of Study in Labour Education, Institute of Workers’ Education, University of Colombo (2005 – 2006)
- Member Steering Committee – Diploma in Journalism Program, University of Colombo (1998 to 2006)
- Member – Internal Quality Assurance Committee of the Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo (2011)
- Faculty Representative – Academic Committee, Staff Development Centre, University of Colombo (2012)
- Student Counsellor (Temporary) – Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo (From 1999-2002 & 2005).
- Senior Treasurer – Sinhala Society, University of Colombo (From 1999 to 2005)
- Senior Treasurer – Faculty of Arts Students’ Union, University of Colombo (2005).
- Assistant Secretary – Arts Faculty Teachers’ Association (AFTA) (2010-2011)
- Assistant Secretary – Faculty Centre, University of Colombo (2010-2011)
- Member – Faculty of Arts, Web Team-University of Colombo (Created the Department of Sinhala web-site)
- Member – Library Committee, Institute of Workers’ Education, University of Colombo (2001-2003)
- Member – Rabindranath Tagore 150 Birth Anniversary Celebration Committee, University of Colombo, High Commission of India & Indian Cultural Centre (2011)
- Member – Organizing Committee of the Faculty of Arts Research Symposium (2010)
CONSULTANCIES (National/ International Level)
- Examiner Responsible for Sinhalese – International Baccalaureate Organization (UK) Limited (2015-)
- Member – Scientific Committee of HETC Symposium 2014 – HETC Project, Ministry of Higher Education.
- Member – Editorial Board for the Compilation of Official Language Proficiency Textbooks for Public Servants – Department of Official Languages (2014)
- Member – Glossary Committe on Social Work – National Institute of Social Development (2014)
- Member – Advisory Board – Compilation of a Sinhala Usage Manual for Educational Publications Department (2013)
- Member – Glossary Committee on Linguistics – Official Languages Department (2010 – )
- Editorial Consultant – IRQUE Newsletter (IRQUE NEWS) Improving Relevance and Quality of Undergraduate Education (IRQUE)
- Project, Ministry of Education (2005-2006 Mar.)
- Chief Examiner (Sinhala) – G.C.E. Advanced Level Examination – 2011 -2014 (Department of Examinations)
- Consultant – Tri lingual Dictionary Project – Official Languages Department (2005-2006 March)
- Member – Review Expert Group for Language Interface Pack (LIP) for Windows 7 and Office 2010 – ICT Agency of Sri Lanka (2010)
- Member –Local Language Requirements Working Group – ICT Agency of Sri Lanka (2005 – to present)
- Member – Advisory Boardon Children’s Programme of the Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation (SLBC) (2011 -)
- Member – Editorial Board New Edition of Malalasekara English-Sinhala Dictionary, Project conducted by the M.D. Gunasena Ltd. Colombo (2011 -2012)
- Member – Editorial Board of ‘Samskruti’ journal – Samskruti Prakasana (2010-2011).
- Manuscript Reviewer – Sri Lanka National Library Services and Documentation Centre, Colombo (2005- )
- Member- Language Planning & Development Committee – Official Languages Department (2003)
- Member- Advisory Council for Diploma in Translation- Official Languages Department, Sri Lanka (2003)
- Member – Glossary Committee for Media Terms, Journalism Unit, University of Colombo (2003)
- Member – Amavatura Edition Project (in collaboration with Pracina Bhashopakara Samitiya & Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo) (2003-2004).
- Member – Sinhala Literary Panel – Department of Cultural Affairs (2001)
- External Reviewer – National Science Foundation (NSF), Research Projects on Social Sciences (2002).
- Member – Curriculum Committee, Western Campus of University of Colombo (presently Sri Pali Campus) (1997)
- Resource Person for Department of Official Languages – Workshop on Corporate Plan for 2012 (2011-12-17)
- Resource Person for Sri Lanka Press Council for the compilation of a brochure on Sinhala Journalists for the Deyata Kirula National Exhibition – 2011.
- Resource Person for Sri Lanka Foundation (SLFI) – Strengthening the Research Arm of the SLFI, 2011
- Resource Person for Educational Publications Department – Session on Improving the Quality of Sinhala Text books, 22-25 February 2011
- Resource Person – Bandaranaike Centre for International Studies (BCIS) (2012 -2013)
- සිංහල සන්ධි අකාරාධිය – (A Dictionary of Sinhala Sandhi ) Colombo: Godage , 2014.
- සිංහල පුවත්පත් කලාවේ පුරෝගාමියෝ ( Pioneers of Sinhala Journalism) Colombo: Godage 2012, 256p.
- මාර්ටින් වික්රමසිංහ පුවත් කලා පුරෝගාමියෝ ( Martin Wickremasinghe’s Role in Journalism) Rajagiriya: Sarasa, 2012, 92p.
- විසි වන සියවසේ සිංහල භාෂා ව්යවහාරය – සමාජවාග්විද්යාත්මක අධ්යයනයක් (Sinhala Usage of the Twentieth Century: a sociolinguistic study) Colombo: S. Godage, 2010, 430pp.
- භාෂා මතවාදාත්මක ලිපි ( Language Ideological Essays ) Colombo: Godage, 2008, 136 pp.
- ශාස්ත්රීය ලේඛනයක මූලාශ්රය දැක්වීමේ විධික්රම (Methods of Citing sources in Academic Writing- Principles of Academic Writing -1)Colombo: Godage, 2006, 55pp.
- සිංහල භාෂාවේ දෙමළ වචන අකාරාදිය (A Dictionary of Tamil Words in Sinhala) with S. Arunachalam, 2002, Colombo: Godage, 2002, 96pp.
- සිංහල අක්ෂර වින්යාස අකාරාදි (A Dictionary of Sinhala Spelling) First edition, Colombo: Godage, 2000, 96pp. Second edition – 2006; Third edition -2010.
- භාෂානුරාගයේ දේශපානලය (The Politics of Language Loyalty) Colombo: Godage. 1999, 266pp.
- සිංහල පුවත්පත් කලාවේ මෑත ඉතිහාසය (A Recent History of Sinhala Press) Colombo: Godage, 1997, 52pp. Second
- Anagarika Dharmapala and India – Sri Lanka Relations Colombo: Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies. 2015 (forthcoming)
- One Hundred Years of Gitanjali, 1913-2013 Colombo: Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies. 2015, p. 113.
- Remembering Rabindranath Tagore – 150 th Birth Anniversary Colombo & Indian High Commission, 2011. 133pp.
- සංස්කෘති (Samskruti ) 22 (2) 2011 November, pp. 112
- Co-editor සාරස ( Sārasa ) Journal of the Sinhala Society – University of Colombo) Colombo: Godage, 2001, 184pp.
- Co-editor සාහිත්යය ( Sāhitya ) Journal of the State Literary Festival – 2001) Colombo: Department of Cultural Affairs,
- භාෂාව හා සන්නිවේදනය – සමාජවාග්විද්යාත්මක විමර්ශනයක් (Language and Communication: a sociolinguistic survey)
Colombo: Sri Lanka Press Council, 2011. 86p.
- The Media and the Ethnic Conflict in Sri Lanka (co-authored with Prof. T. Kandiah and others) Colombo: Mārga Institute, 2001.
Chapters in Books
- ‘‘Tagore’s Reception in Sri Lanka’ in Uma Das Gupta, Imre Bangha, & Martin Kampchen (eds) Rabindranath Tagore: One Hundred Years of Global Reception 1913-2013 New Delhi: Orient BlackSwan, 2014, pp.
- ‘The Language Planning Situation in Sri Lanka’ in Robert B. Kaplan and Richard B. Baldauf Jr. (eds.) Language Planning in the Asia Pacific : Hong Kong, Timor-Leste and Sri Lanka Oxon: Routledge, 2011, pp. 160-241.
- ‘Changing Trends in the Sinhala Media Scene’ (co-authored with Prof. J.B. Disanayaka) in G.H. Pieris (ed.) Studies on the Press in Sri Lanka Kandy: International Centre for Ethnic Studies, 1998. pp. 167-179.
Refereed Articles/ Book Reviews in International Journals
- Purifying the Sinhala Language: The Hela Movement of Munidasa Cumaratunga (1930s-1940s) Modern Asian Studies July 2012, vol. 46 (4) pp.857-891.
- ‘The Language Planning Situation in Sri Lanka’ Current Issues in Language Planning (Routledge Journal) Vol. 10, No. 1, 2009, pp. 69-150.
- Book Review of Nira Wickremasinghe’s Sri Lanka in the Modern Age: Contested Identities, in Millennium December 2008. pp. 514-515.
Refereed Articles in Sri Lankan Journals
- ‘Sinhala Only Policy Revisited: Pre-independence Discourses on Official Language University of Colombo Review New Series Vol.2 (2) pp.1-25.
- ‘Colonialism and Problems of Language Policy: Formulation of a Colonial Language Policy in Sri Lanka’ Journal of Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences Vol. I (1) 2011 pp. 1-52
- ‘Linguistic Identity and Growth of Sinhala Language Consciousness: Indo-Aryan vs Dravidian Debate’ Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka New Series Vol. LV, 2009, pp. 53-76.
- ‘Language Contact and Linguistic Area: Sinhala- Tamil Contact Situation’ The Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka Vol. 53, 2007, pp.133-152.
- isxy, wldrdos ms<sfj< ms<sn| jsuiqula (A Review of the Sinhala Alphabetical Order) IWE Journal 2001, Institute of Workers’ Education, University of Colombo pp. 28 – 39.
- isxy, h;=re,shkfha b;sydih ( History of the Sinhala Typewriter) IWE Journal Vol.1 (1) 1999, Institute of Workers’ Education University of Colombo, pp. 63-68