Professor | Department of Sinhala
Director | Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies (CCIS)
BA (Colombo) MA (Lancaster) MPhil (Peradeniya) PhD (Cambridge)
Modern Sinhala Usage and Grammar, Sociolinguistics, Language and Communication
Faculty of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, University of Cambridge, UK.
Title of the Dissertation: The Politics of Language in Colonial Sri Lanka, c.1900-1948
Department of Sinhalese, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Title of the Dissertation: විසිවන සියවසේ සිංහල භාෂා ව්යාහාරය – සමාජවාග්විද්යාත්මක අධ්යයනයක්
(Sinhala Usage of the Twentieth Century: A Sociolinguistic Study)
Department of Linguistics, Lancaster University, UK
Title of the dissertation: “Language Policy and Planning in Sri Lanka: The Planning of Sinhala as an Official Language”.
Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
AWARDS, RESEARCH GRANTS AND ACADEMIC DISTINC
- Developing World Education Fund and Smuts Scholarship in Commonwealth Studies: for doctoral studies at the University of Cambridge, UK 2006 – 2009. (CambridgeCommonwealth Trust, University of Cambridge, UK)
- Overseas Research Students Award: for doctoral studies,2006-2009. (Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme, Universities UK)
- Smuts Memorial Fund Award: Research Travel grants, 2007. (Smuts Memorial Fund, University of Cambridge, UK)
- NCAS Grant: Research grant for doctoral studies, 2007 – 2009. (National Centre for Advanced Studies in Humanities & Social Sciences, Sri Lanka)
- Commonwealth Academic Staff Scholarship: Awarded to undertake MA in Language Studies at Lancaster University, UK, 2003-
2004. (Association of Commonwealth Universities, UK)
- India- Sri Lanka Foundation Research Grant to compile an Etymological Dictionary of Dravidian Words in Sinhala (High Commission of India, Colombo) 2011-2013
- University Research Grant: Awarded for the compilation of a Sinhala Thesarus (2015-University of Colombo)
- University Research Grant: Awarded for the compilation of a Biographical Dictionary of Modern Sinhala Writers (2010- University of Colombo)
- University Research Grant: Awarded for the compilation of a book entitled ‘Tamil Words in Sinhala’ (2001-University of Colombo)
- Prof. M.B. Ariyapala Award for Sinhala: Awarded for the best performance in Sinhala Special Degree in 1996 (University of Colombo)
- Neil Bandaranaike Award for the Best Performance at the Final Year Examination in Arts Degree in 1996 (University of Colombo)
- Neil Bandaranaike Award for the Best Performance at the Second Year Examination in Arts 1993 (University of Colombo)
- Mahapola Higher Education (Merit) Scholarship for the Best Performance at the G.C.E. (Advanced Level) Examination -1989: Awarded for undergraduate studies, at the University of Colombo (1992-1996)
- Victoria Gold Medal for the Best All-Round Student of the College – 1990 (S. Thomas’ College, MountLavinia. Annual school prizes for outstanding academic achievement
- Accreditation as a Teacher in Higher Education – Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA) UK (2002)
- Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (CTHE) –Staff Development Centre: University of Colombo (2002).
- Graduate Development Program, University of Cambridge, UK
- How to develop Effective Communication Materials – Staff Development Course, University of Cambridge.
- Writing for a Wider Audience – 25 February 2009, Graduate Development Course, University of Cambridge.
- Writing Skills Summer School – 12- 15 August 2008, University of Cambridge.
TEACHING & PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Professor – Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo ( Nov. 2013 – todate )
- Senior Lecturer in Modern Sinhala and Sociolinguistics Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo (Feb. 2005 – Oct. 2013). Teaching areas & course units:
- SLG 1101 – Introduction to Language
- FND 1212 – Sinhala Literary Tradition and Communication
- SLG 2134 – Introduction to Sociolinguistics
- SLG 2216 – Modern Sinhala Usage
- SLG 3159 – Language & Communication
- SLG 3242 – Language, Society and Power
- SLG 4197 – Principles of Academic Writing
- Study Skills Lecture Series for First Year Arts Undergraduates – Orientation Programme (From 2009 – 2011)
- Lecturer in Sinhala – Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo (From Nov.1999 – Jan. 2005)
- Assistant Lecturer – Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo (1997-1999)
- Assistant Lecturer – Journalism Unit, University of Colombo (1996-1997)
- Visiting Lecturer – (Writership and Communication) Institute of Human Resource Advancement (IHRA) (2009 to present)
- Visiting Lecturer – Institute of Workers’ Education (IWE) University of Colombo (From 1997 to 2005)
- Visiting Lecturer – Sri Palee Campus – Horana, University of Colombo (from 2002 2005)
- Visiting Academic – The Open University of Sri Lanka (From 1997-1999)
- Teaching Sinhala as a Foreign Language
- Undergraduates, Wako University, Japan.
- Two Chinese Visiting Scholars – China Radio International, Beijing
- Visiting Chinese Students – Beijing Foreign Studies University, China
- Visiting Lecturer – MPhil/PhD Programme – Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) , University of Colombo (2009- 2014)
- Visiting Lecturer – MA in Sinhala Programme – Department of Sinhala University of Colombo (2011 – to date)
- Visiting Lecturer – Academic Writing Skills / MA in International Relations Program, University of Colombo (2009- 2013)
- Visiting Lecturer – MA in Mass Media Program, Sri Palee Campus, University of Colombo
MA/MPhil/ PhD SUPERVISION/ EVALUATION
- Supervisor for Ms. I.J Mawella – MPhil/PhD Topic: ‘A Sociolinguistic & Social Psychological Study of Language Crossing between
Sinhala and English in the Urban population in Sri Lanka’ (2011-)
- Supervisor for Ms. S. D.A. I Diwakara – PhD topic: සිදත් සඟරා කර්තෘගේ භාෂා සැලසුම්කරණය පිළිබඳ අධ්යයනයක් (2011-2015)
- Co-supervisor for Mr. R.M.C. Ranasinghe – MPhil topic: ‘A study of ideological Identities on Movements in the Linguistic Debates in Sri Lanka after 1956 (2011 -)
- Examiner – MPhil/PhD Proposal Evaluation and Presentation, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo (2009 -)
- Supervisor for MA in Sinhala (Taught) Dissertations – University of Colombo (2012 -2014)
DIPLOMA – LEVEL TEACHING
- Visiting Lecturer – Diploma in Sinhala Program, University of Colombo (2012 – to present )
- Visiting Lecturer – Diploma in Translation Program, Official Languages Department, Sri Lanka (From 2002 –2003)
- Visiting Lecturer – Diploma in Journalism Program, University of Colombo (from 1998 to 2002)
- Visiting Lecturer – Sri Lanka Press Council (2010-2013)
- Visiting Lecturer –Higher National Diploma in Journalism, Sri Lanka Foundation (SLFI)
- Visiting Lecturer – Sinhala for Foreigners’ Course, Bandaranaike Centre for International Studies (BCIS) (2011)
ORGANISATIONAL/ ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE & OTHER DUTIES AS AN ACADEMIC
- Director – Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies (CCIS) University of Colombo (Nov. 2011- Oct. 2013 & Jan. 2015 – )
- Actg. Director – Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies ( Nov. 2013 – Dec. 2014)
- Founder Co-ordinator – MA in Sinhala Program, University of Colombo (2011-todate)
- Co-ordinator – Programme on Sinhala language and Culture for Two Chinese Scholars – conducted by the Department of Sinhala (November 2009 – 2010)
- Academic Warden – Kithyakara Men’s Hostel, University of Colombo (2011)
- Student Counsellor (Permanent) – Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo (2010-2011).
- Activity Co-ordinator – Social and Intercultural Harmony Program, IRQUE Project University of Colombo (2005 -2006)
- Associate Course Coordinator – Diploma in Journalism Program (English Medium) University of Colombo (From 1999- 2004)
- Member – Abstract Review Committee of Faculty of Arts International Conference 2014, Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo.
- Member – Organizing Committee ‘The Commonwealth of the Future: A Visionary and Bold Leadership from Sri Lanka’ organized by the UGC, 26 Nov. 2013
- Member – Academic Committee, Staff Development Centre, University of Colombo (2011-)
- Member – Board of Study in Labour Education, Institute of Workers’ Education, University of Colombo (2005 – 2006)
- Member Steering Committee – Diploma in Journalism Program, University of Colombo (1998 to 2006)
- Member – Internal Quality Assurance Committee of the Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo (2011)
- Faculty Representative – Academic Committee, Staff Development Centre, University of Colombo (2012)
- Student Counsellor (Temporary) – Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo (From 1999-2002 & 2005).
- Senior Treasurer – Sinhala Society, University of Colombo (From 1999 to 2005)
- Senior Treasurer – Faculty of Arts Students’ Union, University of Colombo (2005).
- Assistant Secretary – Arts Faculty Teachers’ Association (AFTA) (2010-2011)
- Assistant Secretary – Faculty Centre, University of Colombo (2010-2011)
- Member – Faculty of Arts, Web Team-University of Colombo (Created the Department of Sinhala web-site)
- Member – Library Committee, Institute of Workers’ Education, University of Colombo (2001-2003)
- Member – Rabindranath Tagore 150 Birth Anniversary Celebration Committee, University of Colombo, High Commission of India & Indian Cultural Centre (2011)
- Member – Organizing Committee of the Faculty of Arts Research Symposium (2010)
CONSULTANCIES (National/ International Level)
- Examiner Responsible for Sinhalese – International Baccalaureate Organization (UK) Limited (2015-)
- Member – Scientific Committee of HETC Symposium 2014 – HETC Project, Ministry of Higher Education.
- Member – Editorial Board for the Compilation of Official Language Proficiency Textbooks for Public Servants – Department of Official Languages (2014)
- Member – Glossary Committe on Social Work – National Institute of Social Development (2014)
- Member – Advisory Board – Compilation of a Sinhala Usage Manual for Educational Publications Department (2013)
- Member – Glossary Committee on Linguistics – Official Languages Department (2010 – )
- Editorial Consultant – IRQUE Newsletter (IRQUE NEWS) Improving Relevance and Quality of Undergraduate Education (IRQUE)
- Project, Ministry of Education (2005-2006 Mar.)
- Chief Examiner (Sinhala) – G.C.E. Advanced Level Examination – 2011 -2014 (Department of Examinations)
- Consultant – Tri lingual Dictionary Project – Official Languages Department (2005-2006 March)
- Member – Review Expert Group for Language Interface Pack (LIP) for Windows 7 and Office 2010 – ICT Agency of Sri Lanka (2010)
- Member –Local Language Requirements Working Group – ICT Agency of Sri Lanka (2005 – to present)
- Member – Advisory Boardon Children’s Programme of the Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation (SLBC) (2011 -)
- Member – Editorial Board New Edition of Malalasekara English-Sinhala Dictionary, Project conducted by the M.D. Gunasena Ltd. Colombo (2011 -2012)
- Member – Editorial Board of ‘Samskruti’ journal – Samskruti Prakasana (2010-2011).
- Manuscript Reviewer – Sri Lanka National Library Services and Documentation Centre, Colombo (2005- )
- Member- Language Planning & Development Committee – Official Languages Department (2003)
- Member- Advisory Council for Diploma in Translation- Official Languages Department, Sri Lanka (2003)
- Member – Glossary Committee for Media Terms, Journalism Unit, University of Colombo (2003)
- Member – Amavatura Edition Project (in collaboration with Pracina Bhashopakara Samitiya & Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo) (2003-2004).
- Member – Sinhala Literary Panel – Department of Cultural Affairs (2001)
- External Reviewer – National Science Foundation (NSF), Research Projects on Social Sciences (2002).
- Member – Curriculum Committee, Western Campus of University of Colombo (presently Sri Pali Campus) (1997)
- Resource Person for Department of Official Languages – Workshop on Corporate Plan for 2012 (2011-12-17)
- Resource Person for Sri Lanka Press Council for the compilation of a brochure on Sinhala Journalists for the Deyata Kirula National Exhibition – 2011.
- Resource Person for Sri Lanka Foundation (SLFI) – Strengthening the Research Arm of the SLFI, 2011
- Resource Person for Educational Publications Department – Session on Improving the Quality of Sinhala Text books, 22-25 February 2011
- Resource Person – Bandaranaike Centre for International Studies (BCIS) (2012 -2013)
- සිංහල සන්ධි අකාරාධිය – (A Dictionary of Sinhala Sandhi ) Colombo: Godage , 2014.
- සිංහල පුවත්පත් කලාවේ පුරෝගාමියෝ ( Pioneers of Sinhala Journalism) Colombo: Godage 2012, 256p.
- මාර්ටින් වික්රමසිංහ පුවත් කලා පුරෝගාමියෝ ( Martin Wickremasinghe’s Role in Journalism) Rajagiriya: Sarasa, 2012, 92p.
- විසි වන සියවසේ සිංහල භාෂා ව්යවහාරය – සමාජවාග්විද්යාත්මක අධ්යයනයක් (Sinhala Usage of the Twentieth Century: a sociolinguistic study) Colombo: S. Godage, 2010, 430pp.
- භාෂා මතවාදාත්මක ලිපි ( Language Ideological Essays ) Colombo: Godage, 2008, 136 pp.
- ශාස්ත්රීය ලේඛනයක මූලාශ්රය දැක්වීමේ විධික්රම (Methods of Citing sources in Academic Writing- Principles of Academic Writing -1)Colombo: Godage, 2006, 55pp.
- සිංහල භාෂාවේ දෙමළ වචන අකාරාදිය (A Dictionary of Tamil Words in Sinhala) with S. Arunachalam, 2002, Colombo: Godage, 2002, 96pp.
- සිංහල අක්ෂර වින්යාස අකාරාදි (A Dictionary of Sinhala Spelling) First edition, Colombo: Godage, 2000, 96pp. Second edition – 2006; Third edition -2010.
- භාෂානුරාගයේ දේශපානලය (The Politics of Language Loyalty) Colombo: Godage. 1999, 266pp.
- සිංහල පුවත්පත් කලාවේ මෑත ඉතිහාසය (A Recent History of Sinhala Press) Colombo: Godage, 1997, 52pp. Second
- Anagarika Dharmapala and India – Sri Lanka Relations Colombo: Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies. 2015 (forthcoming)
- One Hundred Years of Gitanjali, 1913-2013 Colombo: Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies. 2015, p. 113.
- Remembering Rabindranath Tagore – 150 th Birth Anniversary Colombo & Indian High Commission, 2011. 133pp.
- සංස්කෘති (Samskruti ) 22 (2) 2011 November, pp. 112
- Co-editor සාරස ( Sārasa ) Journal of the Sinhala Society – University of Colombo) Colombo: Godage, 2001, 184pp.
- Co-editor සාහිත්යය ( Sāhitya ) Journal of the State Literary Festival – 2001) Colombo: Department of Cultural Affairs,
- භාෂාව හා සන්නිවේදනය – සමාජවාග්විද්යාත්මක විමර්ශනයක් (Language and Communication: a sociolinguistic survey)
Colombo: Sri Lanka Press Council, 2011. 86p.
- The Media and the Ethnic Conflict in Sri Lanka (co-authored with Prof. T. Kandiah and others) Colombo: Mārga Institute, 2001.
Chapters in Books
- ‘‘Tagore’s Reception in Sri Lanka’ in Uma Das Gupta, Imre Bangha, & Martin Kampchen (eds) Rabindranath Tagore: One Hundred Years of Global Reception 1913-2013 New Delhi: Orient BlackSwan, 2014, pp.
- ‘The Language Planning Situation in Sri Lanka’ in Robert B. Kaplan and Richard B. Baldauf Jr. (eds.) Language Planning in the Asia Pacific : Hong Kong, Timor-Leste and Sri Lanka Oxon: Routledge, 2011, pp. 160-241.
- ‘Changing Trends in the Sinhala Media Scene’ (co-authored with Prof. J.B. Disanayaka) in G.H. Pieris (ed.) Studies on the Press in Sri Lanka Kandy: International Centre for Ethnic Studies, 1998. pp. 167-179.
Refereed Articles/ Book Reviews in International Journals
- Purifying the Sinhala Language: The Hela Movement of Munidasa Cumaratunga (1930s-1940s) Modern Asian Studies July 2012, vol. 46 (4) pp.857-891.
- ‘The Language Planning Situation in Sri Lanka’ Current Issues in Language Planning (Routledge Journal) Vol. 10, No. 1, 2009, pp. 69-150.
- Book Review of Nira Wickremasinghe’s Sri Lanka in the Modern Age: Contested Identities, in Millennium December 2008. pp. 514-515.
Refereed Articles in Sri Lankan Journals
- ‘Sinhala Only Policy Revisited: Pre-independence Discourses on Official Language University of Colombo Review New Series Vol.2 (2) pp.1-25.
- ‘Colonialism and Problems of Language Policy: Formulation of a Colonial Language Policy in Sri Lanka’ Journal of Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences Vol. I (1) 2011 pp. 1-52
- ‘Linguistic Identity and Growth of Sinhala Language Consciousness: Indo-Aryan vs Dravidian Debate’ Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka New Series Vol. LV, 2009, pp. 53-76.
- ‘Language Contact and Linguistic Area: Sinhala- Tamil Contact Situation’ The Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka Vol. 53, 2007, pp.133-152.
- isxy, wldrdos ms<sfj< ms<sn| jsuiqula (A Review of the Sinhala Alphabetical Order) IWE Journal 2001, Institute of Workers’ Education, University of Colombo pp. 28 – 39.
- isxy, h;=re,shkfha b;sydih ( History of the Sinhala Typewriter) IWE Journal Vol.1 (1) 1999, Institute of Workers’ Education University of Colombo, pp. 63-68